Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Time for the New Years Resolution.
My New Years sewing resolution is to stop procrastinating and focus. I waste so much time playing with fabric and patterns, then I spend more time refolding and tidying material and patterns . Even when I have something on the sewing table I still get distracted. So the word is
I had my foot broken and badly sprained my right ankle in early December which has curtailed pretty much all of my outside and inside activities. To get around the house I used my Koala sewing chair. It glides around on the polished floors easily, I could change its height and carry objects on my lap. Now 6 weeks later I have some new shoes. My friends find these shoes so amusing….they love making fun of my new look…..they find it so ironic!
Much of my time was spent on the couch watching sewing videos, reading sewing blogs and buying fabric and patterns. I have been going nuts with the boredom and lack of social contact and missed a few Xmas parties. Standing is uncomfortable and I need to avoid the cutting out and tracing bit of the sewing process. I am working on sitting more in the sewing process and will need to select fabric that requires less pressing or can be fingered pressed like linen or wool. I have been looking into the UFO pile. Lots of stuff in there that I can work on!
I am happy to have just completed Just My Style the newly released pattern from Cutting Line Designs. I suppose it was released to coincide with winter in the rest of the world but I thought would be an easy first 2015 garment. I liked it’s oversized slouchy look and think it would be a cool summer shirt. I made it from a light weight linen chambray. I really love this fabric. It reminds of the light blue shirts worn by the seniors boys at Tamworth High, my old HS. It has the best vibe.
I cut a medium, did not make any changes to the pattern. I used all three machines in the process. The overlocker, old Bernina for putting the garment together and new Bernina for topstitching with 2 slightly darker threads on the top. That way I did not need to re-thread the machine for top stitching etc. The pattern went together easily. The directions are incredibly detailed and included a new technique of completing the sleeves so that the overlocking does not show when they are rolled up. This was a pretty fast project, the perfect project to get me in the mood. I am happy with my new shirt.